The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Tsinan||Table of Contents||Next: Tsitsihar|
Tsingtao (Qīngdǎo; 120.318E 36.077N) is a superb natural port at the base of the Shantung Peninsula of China. In 1898, the Germans had pressured the Chinese into granting a 99-year lease on an area of about 190 square miles (500 km2) around the port, and by 1914 the city had a thoroughly German character (complete with thousands of imported German pines and oaks) and a modern harbor with a large floating dry dock. The base was seized by Japan during the First World War, when Japan was a British ally, and the leased territory reverted to China in December 1922. By 1937 the population had grown to about 600,000 persons and cotton and tobacco were produced in the hinterland. There was an airfield nearby.
The city was seized again by Japanese naval forces in
mid-January 1938, which advanced along the rairoad to link up with 10 Division at Tsinan.
41 Division garrisoned the city
at the time war broke out in the Pacific. The port based Tsingtao Air Group with 4 E7K "Alf".
Hsiung and Levine (1992)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2008-2009, 2012 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Hide commentsblog comments powered by Disqus