Alameda (122.307W 37.783N) was founded in 1854 on the east shore of San Francisco Bay. It rapidly became an important residential area. This gave way to industry and shipbuilding, and by 1941 there were important military facilities on the north end of the island. Fuel oil and gasoline were amply supplied from a system of pipelines drawing on Coalinga and other California oil fields.
At the time of the Pearl Harbor attack, Alameda Naval Air Station was base to a number of patrol aircraft: 18 PBY Catalinas, 16 SOC Seagulls, and 2 J2F Ducks.
http://www.freeport-tech.com/WWII (accessed 2002; now defunct)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia (c) 2007 by Kent G. Budge. Index