The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Fort Baker
|Table of Contents
|Next: Fort Canning
Fort Barry (122.523W 37.831N) was located on the north side of the Golden Gate outside San Francisco Bay. The Army began construction of coastal batteries in 1901 on what was then the western end of Fort Baker. By the time war broke out in the Pacific the batteries had been superseded by more modern guns at Fort Cronkhite, but still included two 12" (305mm) guns that were casemated during the war. The fort also had a balloon hangar but installation of two 16" (406mm) guns was never completed.
State Military Museum (accessed 2011-4-19)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2011 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article