35.23N) is a small port at the
mouth of Tokyo Bay. It was here that Commodore Perry anchored his fleet in 1853.
By 1941, there was a shipyard here, Uraga Dock Co. Ltd., that constructed a
significant number of smaller warships for the Japanese
Navy. There were also four small fortresses guarding the entrance to Tokyo Bay, and the Japanese Army had located its heavy artillery school here.
Following the Japanese surrender, Uraga became a port of debarkation for demilitarized Japanese troops returning from overseas.
CINCPOA Bulletin 142-45 (1945; accessed 2014-6-11)\
Department of the Navy (1953; accessed 2014-6-11)
Frank and Shaw (1968; accessed 2014-6-11)
"Handbook on Japanese Military Forces" (1944-9-15; accessed 2011-6-11)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2008, 2014 by Kent G. Budge. Index