The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Whiting, Francis E.M.||Table of Contents||Next: Wichita, U.S. Heavy Cruiser|
33.038S) is a port
located on Spencer Gulf on the south coast of Australia. The town was founded in 1901 as
Hummock Hill and served as a port for the nearby Iron Knob mine. Construction
of a modern port and blast furnaces was funded in 1937. By 1941
there was a small shipyard
here (BHP) that built Bathurst-class minesweepers.
However, the water supply was inadequate for extensive development
until the completion of the pipeline from the Murray River in March 1944.
The port was protected by 4 4.7" dual-purpose
guns when war broke out in the Pacific.
Web Site (accessed 2010-1-18)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2010 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article