The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Fort McKinley||Table of Contents||Next: Fort Ord|
California State Military Museum. Fair use may apply.
Fort Miley (122.506W
37.782N) was located on the south side of the Golden Gate west of San Francisco.
The Army acquired some 54 acres (22 hectares) of land here in 1891 but
did little with the site until 1899. By the time war broke out in the
Pacific, the fort had three 12" (305 mm) guns and no less than 16
12"mortars, though of ancient vintage, and five obsolescent 3" (76 mm) antiaircraft
guns. Two 6" (152mm) guns were added in 1942. The 12" guns and mortars
were all removed in 1943 and replaced with mounts for two more 6" guns
(which were not actually installed), four 90mm guns, and two 40mm
The fort was also the site of a large Veteran's Hospital.
The California State Military Museum (accessed 2011-4-18)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2011 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article