graduate

Adak


Digital relief map of Adak

Photograph of Sweepers Cove, Adak Island

U.S. Navy. Via ibiblio.org

Adak (176.645W 51.883N) is an island in the central Aleutians. It is approximately 30 miles (50 km) long and, like most of the Aleutians, is barren and mountainous. Completely undeveloped in 1941, it was occupied on 30 August 1942 by American engineering units who commenced construction of an airfield in a drained lagoon. The field was complete in just 10 days. The first aircraft, a B-18, arrived on 10 September and the first strike against Kiska, by 12 B-24s and 28 P-38 fighters, took off on 14 September.

The island eventually hosted a major airfield complex, with two Army and two Navy airstrips and and satellite facilities on nearby islands.


References

Garfield (1965)

Morison (1951)

Parrish (1978)

Rottman (2002)


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional