The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Alice Springs||Table of Contents||Next: Allegheny Class, U.S. Tugboats|
Allahabad (81.835E 25.440N), known as Prayag to the Hindus, is an ancient city on the confluence of the Ganges and Jumna rivers, and the strategic key to the region between these rivers. It was renamed Allahabad in the 16th century by the Mogul emperor Akbar. It had an important grain market as was briefly headquarters of the Indian National Congress. The University of Allahabad was founded here in 1887.
The airfield here was briefly considered as a base for
air transport of supplies to China using converted long-range B-24
bombers. Nothing came of this plan, but an air depot operated here from July to December 1942.
Romanus and Sunderland (1953)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2007, 2013-2014 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article