graduate

Camp Elliott

Camp Elliot (117.09W 32.83N) was established in 1934 on 19,000 acres of rented land adjacent to Camp Kearny. It was originally named Camp Holcomb, after the Commandant of the Corps, but Holcomb strongly objected to the name and the camp was renamed Camp Elliott in 1940. It became the main West Coast Marine training center in 1943, with several subcamps, including Camp Linda Vista.

The camp grew to an area of 32,000 acres by June 1944, when it was turned over to the Navy. Postwar, some of the land was transferred to Camp Kearny (renamed Marine Corps Air Depot, Miramar) and the rest was returned to the city of San Diego.

Rail connections

San Diego


References

MarineBarracks.com (accessed 2008-10-11)

Rottman (2002)



Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional