The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Fort Ord||Table of Contents||Next: Fort Shafter|
LegendsOfAmerica.com. Fair use may apply.
Fort Rosecrans (117.244W
32.679N) was a coast defense battery at the entrance to San Diego Bay. It was first identified as a location for fortifications as early as 1852, but the first facilities were not begun until 1873 and not completed until 1900.
The fortress was manned by 19
Coastal Artillery Regiment, a Type A harbor defense
Batteries were located at Fort Rosecrans, Battery Cortez
(Coronado), Coronado Beach (Imperial Beach), and other locations. the
most modern battery was a pair of 8" (203mm) guns completed in 1941,
and there were also two 7" (178 cm) and three 5" (127mm) gunsof fairly
recent vintage. These were supplemented by a large number of
obsolescent guns and mortars, all of which were dismantled by the end
of 1943. By
then the modern battery included an additional pair of 16" (406mm) guns
and six 6" (152mm) guns.
Ruhlen (accessed 2011-12-15)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2008, 2011 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article