The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Huang Wei-kang
|Table of Contents
U.S. Navy. Via Navsource.org
|12,579 gross register tons
|535'2" by 71'11" by 30'6"
163.12m by 21.92m by 9.30m
The Hugh L. Scotts were large, fast passenger liners built in 1921-1922 for the United States Shipping Board. Most were subsequently purchased by Dollar Line, then sold to American Presidents Line when Dollar Line ran into financial difficulties. Several were taken over by the Army for conversion to troop transports. They were relatively fast and spacious ships and performed well in their new role. Hugh L. Scott herself was originally the President Pierce and was returning from a reinforcement run to the Philippines when war broke out in the Pacific.
Both ships were transferred to the Navy in August
1942 after being withdrawn from the Pacific. They were both lost in the
war against Germany.
Army charter in the Pacific
|Hugh L. Scott
Convoy (near 171E 8S)
NavSource.org (accessed 2012-2-24)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2007, 2012 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article