graduate

Lahaina


Photograph of Lahaina Roads

Naval History and Heritage Command #NH 99555

Lahaina (156.678W 20.87N) was founded around 1800 as a whaling and trade port.  It was the royal capital of Hawaii from 1810 to 1845, and the Lahainaluna School was established by missionaries in 1831.  Though a small port, with a deep, poorly sheltered anchorage, it served as an alternate base for the Pacific Fleet up to the outbreak of the war. It continued to be used by supporting forces as late as 1944 to reduce congestion at Pearl Harbor and Honolulu.


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional