The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Machijiri Kazumoto||Table of Contents||Next: Madiun|
Australian War Memorial
Madang (145.80E 5.22S) is located north of the Huon Peninsula of northeastern New Guinea, and was the district capital of the Madang district of the Mandated Territory of New Guinea. It had a usable but largely undeveloped anchorage.
The town was bombed by the Japanese on 21 January 1942 as part of
the preparations for their move against Rabaul
two days later. However, Madang itself was not occupied until 1 January
1943. The Japanese completed an airfield
in February 1943, and began work on a road to Lae in April. This was intended to supply the forward Japanese forces
in northeast New Guinea, which could not longer receive supplies by barge due to Allied air superiority.
Following the seizure of Saidor
and the collapse of the Japanese position in the
Huon Peninsula, Australians
drove the Japanese rearguard out of the town on 24 April 1944.
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2008, 2010 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article