The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Okuma Sadao||Table of Contents||Next: Old, William D.|
34.308N), a tiny island in the Inland
Sea, was the
location of the principal Japanese
weapons research and production center. The island was appropriated
by the Japanese Army in August 1927 and production began in May 1929.
Five types of poison gas
were manufactured here, including mustard and diphenylchlorarsine
(sneezing gas.) At its peak, in 1937-1944, the arsenal employed 6000
persons, and monthly production capacity was 200 tons of mustard gas, 5
tons of lewisite, 80 tons of diphenylcyanoarsine, 50 tons of hydrocyanic
acid, and 2.5 tons of chloroacetophenone.
The island is now known as Rabbit Island (Usagi Jima) for its large population of extremely tame feral rabbits. This has, improbably, made it a significant tourist destination.
Cook and Cook (1992)
Japan Times Online, 2005-8-11 (accessed 2008-6-19)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2007-2008, 2013 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article