graduate

Phoenix Island

Relief map of the Phoenix Islands

The Phoenix Islands are eight historically uninhabited islands with a total land area of 11 square miles (28 km2), located just south of the Equator and south of Hawaii.  They were jointly administered by the United States and Britain in 1941.  Just before war broke out, some 2000 natives of the Ellice Islands had voluntarily relocated here to relieve overcrowding on their home islands.

Airstrips had been completed on Canton and Enderbury by the time war broke out.

References
Morison (1951)

Rottman (2002)



Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional