The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Sanderson, Lawson H.M.||Table of Contents||Next: Sangamon Class, U.S. Escort Carriers|
Sandpoint (116.558W 48.280N) is a town and rail junction located on Lake Pend Oreille in the panhandle of Idaho. The town was created in 1898 by the Farmins, a couple working as agents for the Great Northern railroad. Timber and mining as well as the railroad drove the local economy.
Some twenty miles south was Farragut Naval Training Station (116.609W
opened in September 1942. The based covered 4000 acres (1600
hectares) and trained 300,000 sailors, briefly becoming Idaho's
largest city. Roughly 750 German
prisoners of war
(mostly from Austria) maintained the base, usually with little
supervision: Their work uniforms, emblazoned with a large "PW",
were sufficient to prevent attempts at escape.
ReferencesCityOfSandpoint.com (accessed 2011-4-10)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2008, 2011, 2016 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article