The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: V Class, British Submarines||Table of Contents||Next: Valencia|
National Museum of the USAF
The Allison V-1710 was a liquid-cooled supercharged aircraft engine with 12 cylinders, a bore of 5.5 inches (140mm) and stroke of 6 inches (152mm) for a displacement of 1710 cubic inches (28.0 liters.) Each of the two banks of cylinders was a single light alloy casting. The coolant was pure ethylene glycol pumped at up to 300°F (150°C). The engine was designed from the start to use a turbosupercharger, but these were not available in sufficient numbers to equip any but the P-38 engine models.
Development of the engine began in earnest around 1931, after Allison had been acquired by General Motors and was given an infusion of capital. By 1937 the engine was undergoing extensive flight testing, and it was adopted for the P-38 Lightning.
Most models were
produced in pairs, the second model number being a mirror image of the
first, used to balance torque on multiple engine aircraft such as the Lightning.
||1150 hp (13,800 feet)
||858 kW (4200m)
||1150 hp||858 kW|
||1325 hp||988 kW|
||1425 hp||1063 kW||Mirror: -91
||1600 hp||1190 kW
Aircraft using this engine included the P-38 Lightning, the P-39 Airacobra, the P-40 Warhawk, and early versions
of the P-51 Mustang.
National Museum of the USAF (accessed 2008-2-14)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2009 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article