The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Fort Funston||Table of Contents||Next: Fort Huachuca|
Clallam County Parks. Fair use may apply.
Fort Hayden (123.703W 48.161N) was established in 1940 on a 518 acre (210 hectare) site overlooking Juan de Fuca Strait west of Puget Sound. During construction, temporary batteries were located at Port Angeles to the west. The coastal artillery here featured two 16" guns (completed in 1942) and two 6" guns (completed in 1943). All were mounted in concrete casemates. These were manned by 150 troops of 14 Coastal Artillery Regiment.
The fortress was closed almost immediately after the war.
Clallam County Parks (accessed 2010-12-28)
FortWiki.com (accessed 2010-12-28)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2010 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article