The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Hunt, LeRoy P.||Table of Contents||Next: Huntington Beach|
U.S. Navy. Via ibiblio.org
Hunters Point (122.37W
37.72N) is the extreme southeast area of the city of San
Francisco and projects into San Francisco Bay. It was originally
site of a major commercial shipyard
which had served the Navy during
the First World War. The shipyard was permanently appropriated by the
Navy in November 1940.
Originally 48 acres (19.4 hectare) in extent, it eventually grew to 583
acres (236 hectares) with the acquisition of adjoining land.
The shipyard had two dry docks, one of which was over 1000' (300m)
long. This made it one of the four largest dry docks on the West Coast
(the other three being at Bremerton.) Three additional submarine dry docks were constructed in 1943-1944.
ReferencesBureau of Yards and Docks (1947; accessed 2012-5-3)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2007-2008, 2012 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article