The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Medan||Table of Contents||Next: Medicine|
Medford (122.873W 42.372N) is the capital of Jackson County in southwest Oregon and a timber processing and communications center. The city was founded in 1884 at the site of the middle fork of Bear Creek.
Camp White was located north of town (122.857W 42.436N) and was a division camp. With an area of 49,638 acres (20,088 hectares) it had barracks for 1884 officers and 35,557 men by June 1944. Medford Army Airfield was established nearby.
|353 Engineer General Services
Engineer Combat Group
In 1945 Camp White was taken over by the Navy to serve as a special hospital.
"Building the Navy's Bases in World War II" (1947; accessed 2012-5-26)
Craven and Cate (1955; accessed 2012-5-26))
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2006, 2008, 2012 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article