The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Torpedoes||Table of Contents||Next: Tosu|
Located in the outback of Queensland in Australia
20.767S), the airfield at Torrens Creek was expanded by 46 Engineer Regiment beginning in March 1942 to serve as a base for B-17s.
The base eventually had three 7000' (2130m) runways, two of gravel and
one surfaced with Marston mat, and two 25,000 gallon (94,600 liter)
underground gasoline tanks. The airfield was abandoned by June 1944.
ozatwar.com (2010-1; accessed 2013-4-17)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2013 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article