The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Vasey, George A.||Table of Contents||Next: Vella Gulf|
Vega Bay (177.441E 51.934N) is the principal anchorage of Kiska in the Aleutians. It was utterly devoid of facilities in 1941. However, it was probably the best natural anchorage in the western Aleutians, roomy enough for 40 ships. After the Allied recapture of the island in June 1942, the island was not extensively developed as a base, the emphasis being placed instead on Attu to the west, but the Japanese fighter strip was completed as an auxiliary airfield and some seaplane facilities were developed.
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2007, 2016 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article