The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Bisset, Arthur W.L.||Table of Contents||Next: Blackburn Aircraft Limited|
National Archives #19-N-42257
|Tonnage||8900 tons standard|
|Dimensions||420'2" by 53'7" by 19'8"
128.07m by 16.33m by 5.99m
|Maximum speed||11 knots|
|Armament||4 4"/50 guns
1 3"/50 AA gun
||1-shaft quadruple expansion
reciprocating (3285 shp)
3 Babcock and Wilcox boilers
||Armament upgraded at some point
to 4 3"/50 guns, 2x2 40mm
Bofors AA guns, and 16x1 20mm Oerlikon AA guns
The Black Hawk was completed in 1913 as the Santa Catalina and purchased by the Navy in 1917. She originally served as a minesweeper tender but was converted to a destroyer tender, with a torpedo workshop, in 1920. She had been serving in the Far East for twenty years when the Pacific War broke out.
The outbreak of war found Black Hawk at Balikpapan, where
had positioned her to support the move of his destroyers to Singapore in
support of the British. She
survived the war.
NavSource.org (accessed 2009-12-24)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2007-2009 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Visit our discussion forums.
Comment on this article