The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Mines||Table of Contents||Next: Minesweepers|
Mines Field (118.408W
33.943N) was the ancestor of Los
Angeles International Airport.
Inspired by the success of Lindbergh's trans-Atlantic flight, the city
of Los Angeles signed a ten-year lease for the site on 26 September
1927. However, the airfield was overshadowed by Lockheed Field at Burbank until the
1940s. The field was purchased outright by the city in 1937, when the
field's official name became Los Angeles Airport. Construction of new
facilities was slowed by the Pacific War, but were completed by the end
of 1946. Even in its incomplete state, the field was heavily used by the military and by North American Aviation.
California State Military Museum (accessed 2013-9-3)
Masters (2012-7-25; accessed 2013-9-3)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2008, 2013 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article