The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Nabeshima Shunsaku||Table of Contents||Next: Nadzab|
Nadi (177.443E 17.755S) (pronounced Nandi, and sometimes so spelled) was a major airfield on the island of Viti Levu in the Fiji group. Two 7000' (2130 meter) concrete runways had been built by New Zealand forces before war broke out. Fuel storage was two underground tanks providing 98,000 gallons storage. This based New Zealand 5 Squadron with 4 Singapore flying boats and Fiji Squadron with approximately 22 F2A3 Buffaloes. There was also a narrow-gauge railroad in the Nandi Bay area. Nandi Bay was an excellent anchorage lacking any facilities in 1940, but it was developed by U.S. forces during the war. All these facilities were closed in August 1944, when the war had moved on.
"Building the Navy's Bases" (accessed 2015-2-14)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2008, 2010, 2015 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article