The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Parker, George M.||Table of Contents||Next: Pasig Class, U.S. Distilling Ships|
46.265N) is a communications area in central Oregon. There was a
civilian airfield here in 1941, which was taken over by the Navy in June 1942 for basic training of naval aviators. The field had two runways, 36 barracks, and storage for 200,000 gallons (757,000 liters) of gasoline. The field was later used for refresher training of pilots between tours of duty.
The nearby town of Hanford became the site of a nuclear reactor complex that produced plutonium for nuclear weapons. The considerable heat produced by the reactors was dissipated into the Columbia River: Nuclear power did not come into civilian use until long after the war.
Bureau of Yards and Docks (1947; accessed 2013-2-11)
ibiblio.org (accessed 2013-2-11)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2008, 2013 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article