The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Tuamotu Archipelago||Table of Contents||Next: Tugboats (AT)|
Tucson (110.880W 32.176N) was the site of Davis-Monthan Air Base, which was originally Tucson's municipal airport. It was dedicated as such in 1927 by Charles Lindbergh during a cross-country tour. For a time, it was the largest municipal airport in the country. The air base is named after two WWI aviators killed in air accidents during the 20's. It became a military base in 1925 and was greatly expanded in 1940, becoming an operational training base for heavy bombers.
At the time war broke out, Davis-Monthan was the
headquarters of 4
Bomber Command and 41
Medium Bomber Group.
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2007-2008 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article