The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Fort Casey||Table of Contents||Next: Fort de Kock|
National Park Service.
Fort Cronkhite (122.532W
37.833N) was located on the north side of the Golden Gate outside San Francisco Bay. The Army acquired some 800 acres( 324 hectares) of land here in 1937 for the construction of twin 16" (406mm) coastal guns, which were first test-fired on 1 July 1940. Three 3" (76mm) antiaircraft guns were also installed by the time war broke out in the Pacific. The fort was manned by 54
Regiment, an African-American
equipped with 155mm guns.
On 4 January 1944 a Commando Combat School was set up here.
The California State Military Museum (accessed 2011-4-19)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2011 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article