The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Sisophon||Table of Contents||Next: Sittang River|
U.S. Navy. Via ibiblio.org
Sitka (135.317W 57.054N) was the location of a small refueling station and seaplane base in the Alaskan panhandle, first established in September 1939. VP-41 with 6 PBY-5 Catalina was based here when war broke out. These were tended by converted tender Gillis.
The seaplane base eventually featured two 186' by 254' (57m by 77m) hangars, three concrete seaplane ramps, and a taxiway from the hangars to the ramps that doubled as a 170' by 1500' (50m by 460m) land aircraft runway. Since this was a rather short runway, it was equipped with arresting gear. The base also had three piers and storage for about 11,000 tons of fuel oil and about 4200 tons of diesel fuel and for 105,000 gallons (400,000 liters) of aviation gasoline. Fort Ray could accomodate 3182 troops.
Bureau of Yards and Docks (accessed 2011-6-30)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2008, 2011 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article