The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Transports (AP)||Table of Contents||Next: Treasury Islands|
|Tonnage||2216 tons standard|
|Maximum speed||20 knots|
|Armament||3x1 5"/51 guns
3x1 3"/50 AA guns
4 0.50 machine guns
2 depth charge tracks
1 depth charge thrower
||2-shaft geared turbine (6200 shp)
2 Babcock & Wilcox boilers
|Range||7000 nautical miles (13,000 km) at 13 knots|
||Armament was increased to 4 5"/38 dual-purpose guns and 4 3"/50 dual-purpose guns on
Some units received up to 4 depth charge throwers.
Some units eventually added up to 6x1 20mm Oerlikon AA guns and up to 3x2 40mm Bofors AA guns, removing two of the 5" and all the 3" guns for weight compensation. In some cases the remaining 5"/51 guns were replaced with 5"/38 dual-purpose guns.
HF/DF was added in 1942 and SC radar in 1943.
QC sonar was added in 1945.
The Treasuries were all named after former U.S. Secretaries of the Treasury (the Coast Guard falling under the Department of the Treasure in peacetime) and were completed in 1936-1937. Based on the hulls and machinery of the Erie class, their design emphasized long range rather than speed. They were originally constructed to carry a single seaplane, but the seaplane facilities had been replaced with depth charge tracks and throwers by the time war broke out in the Pacific. At $2.5 million apiece, the ships were regarded as highly cost-effective.
They were considered highly successful, particularly in the antisubmarine role. Though they served primarily in the Atlantic as convoy flagships, they were eventually transferred to the Pacific to serve as amphibious command ships.
||Honolulu||Withdrawn late 1943
Arrived 1945-2 as AGC conversion
|George M. Bibb
U.S. Coast Guard (accessed 201-7-20)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2010-2011 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article