The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Harrill, William K.||Table of Contents||Next: Hart, Thomas C.|
|Tonnage||13,529 tons light
21,900 tons fully loaded
|Dimensions||535' by 72' by 30'6"
163.1m by 21.9m by 9.3m
|Maximum speed||17.5 knots|
|Armament||1 5"/51 gun
4 3"/50 AA guns
4 0.50 machine guns
||2-shaft Bethlehem Curtis-type turbines (12,000 shp)
8 Yarrow boilers
190,000 cubic feet (5380 cubic meters)
||1943: 5"/50 gun replaced with 2x2 40mm
Bofors AA guns, 10 20mm
guns. Squadron flagship facilities added to Harris and Zeilin.
By 1945, light antiaircraft had been increased to 1x4, 2x2 40mm guns and 20 20mm guns.
The Harrises were
large passenger liners taken over
by the U.S.
for conversion to troop
transports. They were relatively fast and spacious ships and
performed well in
their new role. Each carried 4 LCM, 18 LCVP, 2 LCPL, and 1 LCPR to
bring the troops ashore, and had six 30-ton, six 10-ton, and two
||Completed 1942-1-3 (Seattle)|
|J. Franklin Bell
||Completed 1942-4-2 (San Francisco)
|Leonard Wood||Arrived 1943-9-2|
NavSource.org (accessed 2012-8-24)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2007, 2009, 2012 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Comment on this article