The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia
|Previous: Landing Ships||Table of Contents||Next: Langley, U.S. Seaplane Tender|
|Tonnage||4500 tons light displacement
7930 tons fully loaded
13,490 tons ballasted down for unloading
|Dimensions||457'9" by 72'0" by 14'5"
139.5m by 21.9m by 4.4m
|Maximum speed||17 knots|
|Armament||1 3"/50 AA gun
8 20mm Oerlikon AA guns
2 Babcock & Wilcox boilers
|Bunkerage||500 tons fuel oil
12,000 gallons (45,000 liters) gasoline
|Range||8000 nautical miles (15,000 km) at 15 knots|
14 LCM, 47 DUKW, 41 LVT,
or 1500 tons of vehicles plus 2 LCPL
||Late 1944: Light antiaircraft
increased to 16
20mm guns. U.S.
had 1 5"/38 DP gun,
Bofors AA guns.
Landing Ships, Dock, or LSDs, were fairly large (4500 tons) oceangoing vessels used in amphibious invasions. They were derived from the Popper Ferry, a 1920 design for a barge transporter for use on the Danube River, redesigned by the British in 1942 and constructed in American shipyards. They likely were inspired by the Japanese landing craft depot ships, whose operations were followed with great interest by American and British observers of the landings in Shanghai in 1937.
a dock in its stern that could be
flooded by ballasting down the stern of the ship.
This gave the LSD the ability to transport,
load, and launch several smaller landing
The ships were considerably faster, roomier, and more
than LSTs, reducing the likelihood of a bad
trip. First used in combat at Tarawa,
they revolutionized the offloading of tanks
on a beachhead by allowing them to be transported preloaded into
It was discovered in the field that LSDs
were also extremely useful for the maintenance and repair of
suffered tremendous wear and tear every time they were run up on a
beach. As a
result, several LSDs
craft repair ships.
A few more were redesignated
as PT boat repair
ships. A total of 25 of these ships were built, of which four went
the British as Lend-Lease. The
design was continually refined and there was much variation
individual ships. Those units constructed at Oakland are sometimes listed
separately as the Ashland
class while the units constructed on the East Coast (including all
Lend-Lease units) are listed as the Casa
are the direct ancestor of the
in modern navies.
||Completed 1943-6-5 (Oakland)
||Completed 1943-8-9 (Oakland)|
||Completed 1943-9-18 (Oakland)|
||Completed 1943-10-11 (Oakland)|
||Completed 1943-11-10 (Oakland)|
||Completed 1943-12-9 (Oakland)|
||Completed 1944-1-5 (Oakland)|
||Completed 1944-1-29 (Oakland)|
Leighton and Coakley (1955)
Murray and Millett (1996)
The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia © 2006-2010, 2016 by Kent G. Budge. Index
Visit our discussion forums.
Comment on this article